You will have 3 hours to complete the Polish Placement Test. Read the instructions below for information on how to access and complete the exam.
1. Before you begin the test, be sure you know how to add and use a Polish language keyboard.
2. Log into placement.elearning.rutgers.edu
3. Navigate to the world language drop-down menu.
4. Select the Polish test.
Mac - newer version (OS X Yosemite)
- Open System Preferences from the menu.
- Click on "Keyboard" and make sure that the box 'Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar' is selected.
- Click the "Input Sources" tab in the window and click the plus sign at the bottom of the white box on the left.
- Select "Polish Pro" and click "Add."
- To change the language from English to Polish, click the flag in the top right corner and select Polish. To view the virtual keyboard, click "Show keyboard viewer."
- To add letters with accents while typing, you must hold down the "Option/Alt" key and click the appropriate key simultaneously to get the accented letter.
Mac - older versions
- Click the Apple icon in the top left corner of the menu bar, click on "System Preferences."
- Open "Language and Text."
- Select "Input Sources."
- Check off the box called "Polish Pro."
- Click on Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Turn on the Virtual Keyboard.
- Open the "Keyboard and Text Input" menu on the left hand side of the window.
- Activate shortcut keys to switch between languages (optional).
- To change the language from English to Polish, click the flag on the top right corner of your screen and select Polish.
- Activate the virtual keyboard by clicking "Show Keyboard Viewer."
- Click Start → Control Panel → Change keyboards or other input methods.
- Click on "Change Keyboards."
- Click the "Add" button on the right.
- Scroll down to Polish. Select the check box for "Polish Programmers."
- Click "Okay" on each window to close the Control Panel.
- To switch to the Polish language, look at the bottom right corner of your screen (near the time). There will be "EN" for English. Click "EN" to select "PL" for Polish.
- To open the on-screen keyboard, click "Start." Type "On Screen Keyboard" into the search bar and it should appear in the "Programs" results.
- To include letters with accents, you must click the RIGHT Alt button. The on-screen keyboard will show you the corresponding key to hit to obtain the accented letter you need. Hold down the Alt button and the appropriate key simultaneously to get an accented letter.
If you are unable to type in Polish directly on the Sakai exam, you have the option to upload a Word document to the question. Instructions for using the Polish keyboard in Microsoft Word are below:
- Open Microsoft Word. Your computer may automatically revert back to English if it is in the Polish setting. To change the language to Polish in the Word document, keep the document open and change the language to Polish by clicking the "EN" button on the bottom right of your Taskbar and changing it to "PL."